Do you find yourself being happy that your mask is covering up your acne but mad that it’s what is causing it? It’s a conflicting feeling – we know! As more cities and states across the country require people to wear face coverings in public in order to fight the spread of COVID-19, people with sensitive skin are having to fight something else – mask breakouts, a skin condition that hides under their mask known as “maskne”. This condition, which is a combination of skin irritation and acne, is actually not new to people in the medical profession but the condition has become more widespread amongst mask-wearing populations due to Covid-19 and countries that have high levels of pollution.
What is Maskne and Why Does it Happen?
There is actually a proper medical term for maskne which is “Acne Mechanica”, a skin condition brought on by prolonged wear of facial personal protective equipment. Masks trap heat and cause friction and occlusion on the skin. When combined with the warm moisture caused by breathing or sweating, they create the perfect environment for breakouts. Pores become clogged, which can in turn produce pimples or acne cysts. If you are already prone to getting acne, wearing a mask can exacerbate the problem.
Even if you don’t suffer from acne, the prolonged occlusion, heat, and sweat from wearing a mask can cause your skin to become very tired, irritated, itchy, or dry.
How to Prevent and Relieve Maskne
Dermatologists recommend preventing maskne, also know as mask breakouts, by adhering to a frequent face-washing routine using a fragrance-free face wash, applying a moisturizer as often as possible, and either use a disposable mask or wash your mask in a mild detergent after 4 or more hours of use.
There are a variety of quality skincare products and treatments that we offer here at Alazzo Med Spa to help relieve your condition. These include:
- Chemical Peels – Our Acne Lift Peel is a blend of AHA’s (Alpha-Hydroxy Acids) and BHA’s (Beta Hydroxy Acids) that will effectively treat all kinds of acne as well as acne-prone or oily skin.
- Microdermabrasion – Microdermabrasion is a treatment that enhances your overall skin appearance. It includes an exfoliation process combined with suction to gently lift away the top layers of damaged skin. Your skin is then gently infused with valuable nutrients to enhance results.
- Microneedling – Our micro-needling treatment helps reduce the appearance of acne as well as acne scars. The process promotes the growth of new collagen in your skin, encouraging your skin to heal itself. This treatment is great for diminishing the appearance of ice pick, boxcar, and rolling acne scars.
- Fraxel Laser Skin Rejuvenation – Our Fraxel 1550 is a laser treatment for skin resurfacing. This treatment smooths the skin by heating up the underlying skin tissue (without harming the surface) so that your body will be prompted to produce collagen – your skin’s own healing substance that fills in textural irregularities and improves skin quality.
- Biomolecular Hydrating Recovery Mask – If you have tired or inflamed skin caused by wearing a mask, this treatment will bring it back to life. A therapeutic sheet mask delivers a powerful infusion of ingredients that hydrate and brighten your face, for an instantly refreshed appearance.
Bottom line: You don’t need to live with maskne and continue to suffer the embarrassing mask breakouts and rashes it is known for. There are ways to both prevent and treat mask-induced skin issues including a daily skincare regimen, skincare products, and the treatments we offer here at our med spa. We can recommend skincare products and treatments that will work best for your skin type, so you can look forward to reduced symptoms and clearer and brighter skin in a matter of weeks.