Do you or someone you know have diabetes? Unfortunately, you probably do, considering the number of people that have diabetes – 415 million to be exact! Did you know that November is Diabetes Awareness Month and World Diabetes Day (WDD) is observed globally on November 14 to raise awareness about both Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes? Of the 415 million diabetes cases globally, 90% are estimated to be Type 2.
It’s estimated that up to 70% of people with prediabetes go on to develop Type 2 diabetes. Fortunately, progressing from prediabetes to diabetes isn’t always inevitable. There are some actions you can take now to avoid getting Type 2 later in life such as:
- Avoiding sugary and processed foods
- Drinking plenty of water
- Getting regular exercise
- Quitting smoking (if you smoke)
- Supplementing your diet with Vitamin D
In addition to the health risks associated with diabetes, there are some unpleasant, as well as more serious skin conditions caused by diabetes. If you do have Type 2 and suffer any of the embarrassing skin problems caused by it, there are some conditions we can help alleviate here at Alazzo Med Spa. They include:
- Problem: Xerosis or dry skin. Because the body is producing high levels of glucose, dry skin is all too common with diabetes, especially for those with Type 2 diabetes.
Treatment: Our line of skin care products is designed to replenish and maintain moisture in dry or aging skin. We also offer masks, peels, and other treatments that deliver a powerful infusion of ingredients that hydrate and brighten for an instantly refreshed appearance.
- Problem: Acanthosis Nigricans – This is a condition associated with diabetes in which tan or brown raised areas appear on the sides of the neck.
Treatment: Our microdermabrasion treatments can help reduce discolorations caused by this condition. Our Fraxel Laser Skin Rejuvenation Treatment can smooth textural irregularities and improve overall skin quality.
- Problem: People with diabetes tend to be more prone to skin tags. A skin tag is a small tag of skin which may have a peduncle (stalk) – they look like a small piece of soft, hanging skin. Skin tags are not only embarrassing when they are visible, they can be bothersome and often irritating if they get caught on clothing or jewelry.
Treatment: We offer a skin tag removal treatment for this condition. We can quickly and safely remove unsightly skin tags, with minimal discomfort.
- Problem: Diabetics often suffer from onychomycosis aka nail fungus. This condition is caused by a group of fungi called dermatophytes that grow under the nail. It is very difficult to cure because topical agents do not penetrate the nail bed.
Treatment: We offer a toenail fungus removal treatment to penetrate the nail bed and destroy the fungus where it grows. Completely painless, the light of the laser passes through the nail bed and targets the fungus.
These are just a few of the treatment options that we offer to help decrease the appearance of skin problems associated with diabetes. Whatever your condition is, don’t let it get you down. We can customize our treatments to address our clients’ particular needs and concerns, with the goal of returning them to a more normal, replenished, and – in some cases – even more youthful appearance! We can also provide recommendations on preventative treatments and products, combined with a home skincare regimen, that will help prevent skin dehydration, maintain moisture, and slow the aging process.