We’ve all been there… A passing glance in the mirror revealed thin and undefined lips rather than the full youthful lips we remembered. Unfortunately, as we age, our body slows down the production of collagen and elastin. You might be surprised to know that this loss begins as early as your late 20s. In fact, collagen in your skin surface declines approximately 1 percent every year! Fortunately, Alazzo has options when it comes to regaining a pouty, youthful look. One of those options is a lip flip in Frederick!
What is a lip flip?
Our lip flip in Frederick is a non-surgical cosmetic procedure in which your doctor or nurse injects two to eight units of Botox into what is known as your “Cupid’s Bow,”. which is the little upside-down arrow-shaped indentation on the middle of your upper lip, and into the corner of your mouth. The injection relaxes the muscles in your lip, which causes it to “flip.”
Who is a good candidate for a lip flip?
A lip flip may be right for you if:
- Your smile reveals more of your gums than you’d like or if your upper lip is not as visible when you smile, as the procedure will cause your upper lip to be less elevated.
- You would like to enhance your lips, but don’t want to add volume.
- You have bothersome wrinkles above your upper lip as a lip flip may smooth those vertical lines.
How is a lip flip different from dermal fillers?
Before deciding to undergo a lip flip in Frederick, it’s important to understand the differences between it and dermal fillers, which is another option for people who want to enhance the appearance of their lips. Here are the key differences.
Both processes include injections, but they use different substances to achieve the desired look:
- Lip fillers use hyaluronic acid, a clear, gel-like substance that your body naturally produces to help you retain water and keep your tissue moisturized. It is used in dermal fillers to reduce the appearance of wrinkles and folds in the skin and to increase volume.
- Lip flips use Botox, made from Clostridium botulinum, which relaxes the muscle being injected which means that muscles can’t contract, thus softening present wrinkles and presenting new ones.
- Dermal fillers will add volume to lips, but they won’t reveal less of your gums.
- Lip flips can make your lips look more defined and reveal less of your gums when you smile, but they don’t add volume.
- A lip flip lasts about 8 weeks and fillers can last 6 to 12 months.
Recovery and Cost
- A lip flip requires four to six units of Botox, which makes them less expensive than fillers. A unit typically costs $12-15.
- Fillers typically cost more and are purchased by syringe. Depending on the look you desire, you could require 1 – 3 syringes, which typically cost over $500 each.
- Both have no downtime and sometimes can cause minor swelling and bruising on the lips.
Flip your lips!
Ready to see which treatment is best for you? Request a consultation!