Persistent acne can really kill one’s confidence. It’s something nobody wants, but that most people will deal with at some point. You may have assumed that when you hit your twenties or even thirties, your acne would magically disappear, but nope– it’s still there, staring back at you in the mirror. Don’t despair: whether you are still in your teens or many years out of your teens, Alazzo Med Spa has treatments for acne to help clear your skin and improve your self-esteem.
Main causes of acne:
Whiteheads, blackheads, nodules, cysts, and pimples happen when your hair follicles become clogged with oil and dead skin cells. You may have noticed that some people seem plagued with acne, while others resemble those fortunate “high school girls with clear skinned smiles” envied by Janis Ian in the song “At Seventeen.” Acne can be caused or exacerbated by:
- Genetics: One large study showed that 81% of acne was due to genetic factors.
- Bacteria: We are usually blissfully unaware of it, but all people have skin bacteria called Propionibacterium acnes (P. acnes). However, only some strains of this infect the oily plug in the hair follicles, contributing to acne.
- Excess oil production: Sebum is a waxy oily substance that protects your skin. It only becomes a problem when you have too much of it and it combines with dead skin cells to plug up your hair follicles.
- Hormonal changes: The most obvious hormonal changes occur during puberty, but there are plenty of other times we experience acne-aggravating hormones. For example, many people experience breakouts before their periods, during pregnancy, or during menopause.
- Diet: No, not the chocolate your mother warned you against. Studies have shown that foods that cause your blood sugar to fluctuate wildly, such as sugary drinks and carbs, can make acne worse.
- Stress: Stress alone can’t cause acne, but it can cause more sebum (oil) production. It can also cause people to pick at their pimples and blemishes, which only makes them worse.
How to Prevent Outbreaks
- Wash your face gently (don’t scrub!) twice a day. We offer these products at Alazzo Med Spa that are specially formulated for acne and oily skin:
- Clear Cell Medicated Acne Lotion: A daily oil-free lotion formulated with benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid to reduce acne lesions and diminish oil production. Essentials botanicals of green tea, grapeseed, and Vitamin D nourish and infuse dehydrated skin.
- Clear Cell Medicated Acne Scrub: A grainy and exfoliating acne daily facial cleanser that removes all make-up and purifies acne-prone skin with 3% benzoyl peroxide. Ideal for back and chest acne.
- Clear Cell Salicylic Gel Cleanser: A daily salicylic gel-cleanser that removes make-up, eliminates excess oil, and gently exfoliates skin to keep clear and shine-free.
- Don’t touch your face: It’s so tempting to check to see how bad your inflammation is or to pick at a pimple, but don’t do it!
- Stick to a healthy diet: foods rich in the following nutrients are linked to lower levels of acne: complex carbohydrates, zinc, vitamins A and E, omega-3 fatty acids, and antioxidants. To put it simply, these foods are your friends: non starchy vegetables, whole grains and cereals, beans and legumes, nuts and seeds, and apples, berries, and plums.
These foods? Not so much: sweets and candy, sugary baked goods, dairy, and white bread.
- Limit sun exposure: This seems counterintuitive– particularly if you have noticed less acne when you are on vacation. That may be because you are not as stressed, or because your tan masks the acne. However, too much exposure to the sun can cause pimples to become dark scars. Ultraviolet rays can increase inflammation and redness and can create new breakouts.
How to Treat Redness and Scarring
At Alazzo Med Spa, we offer a number of services to treat and help decrease the visible signs of acne:
- Chemical Peels: Our Acne Lift Peel is a blend of AHA’s (Alpha-Hydroxy Acids) and BHA’s (Beta Hydroxy Acids) that will effectively treat all kinds of acne as well as acne-prone or oily skin.
- Microdermabrasion: This is a treatment that enhances your overall skin appearance. It includes an exfoliation process combined with suction to gently lift away the top layers of damaged skin. Your skin is then gently infused with valuable nutrients to enhance results.
- Microneedling: Our microneedling treatment helps reduce the appearance of acne as well as acne scars. The process promotes the growth of new collagen in your skin, encouraging your skin to heal itself. This treatment is great for diminishing the appearance of ice pick, boxcar, and rolling acne scars.
- Fraxel Laser Skin Rejuvenation: Our Fraxel 1550 is a laser treatment for skin resurfacing. This treatment smooths the skin by heating the underlying skin tissue (without harming the surface) so that your body will be prompted to produce collagen – your skin’s own healing substance that fills in textural irregularities and improves skin quality.
- Biomolecular Hydrating Recovery Mask: If you have tired or inflamed skin caused by wearing a mask, this treatment will bring it back to life. A therapeutic sheet mask delivers a powerful infusion of ingredients that hydrate and brighten your face for an instantly refreshed appearance.
Between 40 and 50 million people in the United States suffer from acne. If you are one of them, know that it doesn’t have to rule your life. The professionals at Alazzo Med Spa offer a variety of products and services to help you feel the best at any age in your life, whether you have acne or not!
Contact us at 301-810-5740 and Request a consultation.