Since November is a month dedicated to gratitude, one of the things we should be thankful for is our body and its amazing ability to heal itself!
There are many examples of how the body repairs itself; the liver regenerates; intestines regenerate their lining; bones grow back; lungs repair after quitting smoking; and more. But probably the simplest example of cell repair is demonstrated through skin repair after an injury.
How the Body Heals Our Skin
Following a skin injury in an otherwise healthy body, blood vessels at the site contract to slow the bleeding. In the rebuilding process, dead cells are taken away and oxygen-rich blood cells arrive to build new tissue by creating a magical skin healer called collagen. We have learned how to harness the body’s natural ability to regrow and repair the skin with collagen. By doing so, we can treat skin conditions such as:
- Uneven skin tone
- Early aging lines and wrinkles
- Sun damage
- Surgical Scars
Med Spa Treatments That Use Our Body’s Innate Healing Powers
We always emphasize the importance of following a good skin care regimen. However, skin care products only treat the surface of the skin. Here are some examples of the services we offer that go beneath the skin’s surface and stimulate the body’s innate healing, purifying, and collagen-producing ability:
- Micro-Needling – A small, hand-held device with tiny needles delivers up to 1,300 micro punctures per second into the skin, thus stimulating the production of collagen and elastin. Collagen re-grows and repairs the skin as a response to this “micro-damage”. While stimulating the production of collagen, we also inject protein-rich retinol and amino acids into the skin, to assist the healing process. The result is smoother, rejuvenated skin.
- Fraxel Laser Skin Rejuvenation Treatment – This is a heat energy-based treatment used to stimulate collagen. Non-ablative lasers work by heating up the underlying skin tissue (without harming the surface) so that your body will produce new collagen. This treatment reduces fine lines and wrinkles and diminishes pore size, giving the skin a more youthful appearance.
- Microdermabrasion – By removing the dead skin cells on the surface of the skin, we can stimulate the body to produce new skin cells. Microdermabrasion uses a wand that has several size bristles that gently exfoliate the topmost layer of skin. Dead skin cells are then suctioned into a container. The underlying skin is left smoother as the action of the wand stimulates lymphatic drainage, oxygenation, and the delivery of collagen, resulting in younger-looking, smoother skin.
- Intense Pulse Light (IPL) Therapy – IPL is a narrow spectrum of light. This intense pulsed light targets broken blood vessels and irregular pigmentation with minimal effect on the surrounding tissue. The intense light energy is absorbed by the broken blood vessels or the darkened pigmentation of the skin. The energy is converted to heat, damaging the targeted blood vessel and pulling hyperpigmentation to the surface of the skin. Damaged blood vessels will be absorbed and carried away by the body while the hyperpigmented skin will flake off during the exfoliation process, leaving skin with a more even tone and texture.
- Chemical Peels – A blend of acids and nutrients are used to peel the top layers of the skin. By removing the dead skin cells on the surface, we can stimulate the body to produce new skin cells, creating a more smoother and softer look.
- Profound – Radiofrequency (RF) energy and ultrafine needles (microneedles) work together to renew your skin from within. Just one Profound treatment stimulates your body to naturally reproduce collagen, elastin, and hyaluronic acid to revitalize the skin and build new, healthy tissue. This treatment is clinically proven to stimulate your body’s own healing response to reduce the signs of aging – without the use of harsh chemicals or surgery.
- Cool-sculpting – This body fat reducing procedure harnesses the body’s ability to eliminate dead skin cells. Fat cells freeze at higher temperatures than surrounding cells. CoolSculpting technology delivers precisely controlled cooling to gently and effectively target fat cells that are under the skin. The treated fat cells are crystallized (frozen), and then die. Over time, your body naturally processes the fat and eliminates these dead cells, leaving the area looking less fat, smoother and more “sculpted”.
Thanks to our body’s innate rebuilding ability, we can take off months, if not years, from our skin’s appearance and address any other unsightly skin conditions that prevent us from living life to the fullest.